Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question below to view the answer.
You may also click 'Open All' to expose all the answers or limit the results by entering a search term.

Meals are held to the state required per diem rate. If there are any additional charges, they can be charged to a discrentionary funding source only when approved by a Dean or Vice President. Keep a record of the number of attendees of the event. If the cost goes over the per diem rate, also keep a justification of why that supplier was chosen. 

Account Codes

For the best view of how your department spends money, we recommend using the account code that best fits the purchased good or service.

Please refer to the account code website located at:

You might also find it helpful to visit the taxability grid at the Tax Office web page, located at:

AP Process

Departments can purchase gift cards for employee recognition using the Procard. However, the gift must be reported to Payroll because the gift is taxable. See Employee Recognition.

No, the University cannot send checks in foreign currency. However, we can send wire transfers in foreign currency. See the Wire Payments page for more information.

In general, invoices will be processed for payment Net 30 days from the date a properly completed invoice with a valid purchase order number  is received in UW Accounts Payable.

  • Invoices will not be processed for payment until all items invoiced have been received.
  • Invoices over $10,000 are not finalized for payment until a department representative communicates the date the materials were received and their approval to pay.
  • If rush payment is needed, please contact the ordering UW department.

Please also see our General Terms and Conditions.

Set up the purchase order for the approximate US dollar amount which can be found on a currency exchange website. The wire payment will be converted into the current day’s exchange rate when it is sent, so the encumbered amount and the paid amount will not match exactly. See Wire Payments.

If the original charge was processed on an invoice through Accounts Payable or through an Ariba module, please submit your correction through Procurement Desktop Reports (PDR). Go to the "Use Tax History" report and submit your request from there. Typically, taxes can only be added or reversed for the last 3 months.

If the original charge charge was processed through Procard, first review the transaction in PaymentNet. If the month has not yet closed, simply check or uncheck the use tax box by the transaction. If the month has closed already. please submit your correction through Procurement Desktop Reports (PDR).

For questions and inquiries about the Use Tax Report, please contact Procurement Customer Service at 206-543-4500 or email them at

To inquire about the status of your check, please contact Procurement Customer Services at 206-543-4500 or email them at

Please send all requests to close PAS purchase orders to Include the PO number, budget number, and account code in your email. Note: By sending an email to saf to liquidate an encumbrance, you are requesting that the PO be closed. Make certain that all product or services have been received and paid for prior to emailing. If the product or services have not been fully received and paid for, and you need to liquidate an amount from a specific budget, please email with an alternate budget to charge the remaining invoice(s) to.

Invoices are submitted by different methods, depending on the order type.

  • Catalog Ordering: The supplier should submit the invoice electronically through Ariba
  • Non-Catalog Ordering:
    • Enabled supplier orders- The supplier must submit the invoice electronically through Ariba
    • Manual orders- The supplier should submit the invoice by email to
  • For BPOs: The supplier must submit the invoice electronically through Ariba
  • Non-PO Invoice: The department should submit a Non-PO Invoice form and attach the supplier's invoice copy
  • PAS Purchase Order:
    • Departments can email invoice copies to or send by campus mail to box 351130
    • Suppliers can fax invoice copies to 206-685-8018 or mail to: University of Washington, Accounts Payable 351130, 3917 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105

All invoices should be in English, or have an official translation on file for audit purposes. Official translations are at the department or vendor expense, depending on the contract. Accounts Payable will accept invoices in foreign languages only when the department includes an approved invoice voucher with the invoice. The currency and amount to be paid should be specified on the invoice voucher. If foreign currency is requested, then wire transfer instructions must also be provided.

Invoice vouchers are required for the following circumstances:

  • Invoices over $10,000 submitted by a department for payment

  • To communicate special check handling instructions

  • To communicate wire transfer instructions

  • When an invoice is in a foreign language

According to the UW General Terms & Conditions (section 28), payment is not considered late if a check, warrant, or electronic transmittal notice has been mailed or issued within the time specified by the contract, or if no terms are specified, within 30 days from the date of receipt of a properly completed invoice, or goods, whichever is later.

Any late payment charges accrued on an invoice will be charged to the budget number listed on the purchase order, and subject to buyer review.

If the refund check is sent directly to your department, simply fill out a reverse expenditure form and send it with the refund check to Accounts Payable at box 351130.

If it is a refund check for a Procard purchase, please send the reverse expenditure form and refund check to box 351120 Procard to deposit.

If the refund check was sent directly to Accounts Payable from the supplier, AP will deposit the check and process a journal voucher to move the funds back to your budget. In the even the money does not show up in your budget transactions, please contact Procurement Customer Service at 206-543-4500 or email them at Please provide the check information if you have it, or the refund amount, PO number, and supplier. We will assist in refunding the credit back to your budget.

Payment by wire transfer must be negotiated with Procurement Services at the time the order is placed. Requests for payment by wire are not honored unless prior arrangements were made at the time the contract or order was initiated.

It can take up to two weeks for the wire to reach its destination, depending on the destination and the process has a fee which is charged to the department. A purchase order number and appropriate banking information is needed. For more information see the Wire Payments web page.

If you discover a duplicate payment for an order, contact Procurement Customer Service at Please include the date of the original and duplicate payments, the budget number(s), the PO number(s), and the account code(s) charged. We will assist you in getting a refund for the duplicate payment.

Under RCW 84.36.050, the UW, which includes UWMC, is exempt from property tax on real or personal property owned or used by the University in this state if used for educational purposes. Therefore, we do not have or need an exemption certificate.

However, if we are leasing, there may be a different set of rules, which depends on the type of lease. Please refer to the lease agreement between the University and supplier.

*Note: Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is not considered a UW entity for these purposes.

In this case, do not use eReimbursement to reimburse the UW employee.  Process the reimbursement through Travel by creating an expense report (ER) in Ariba.  Make sure to provide a Tax ID or published advertisement if a commercial lodging facility is other than a hotel.  For further questions, please contact Travel directly.  Note: For information on lease payments, please contact Real Estate.

To determine the reconciliation date for eProcurement module, go through the following steps:

1. Click on Invoices tab.
2. Click on the linked Invoice ID number.
3. Click on Reconciliation tab.
4. Next to the IR number, verify that the invoice status shows Paying.
  • At this point you are reviewing the invoice, and you can see the Date when the reconciliation process started, which shows under Date Created. The Date Created, or date reconciliation started, may not be the same date that the payment was released. Continue with the next steps to find the final reconciliation date.


5. To view the date when the payment was released in Ariba, click on the linked Reconciliation ID number.
  • Now you are reviewing the reconciliation, and the ID number in the upper left corner has changed from "INV..." for the invoice to "IR..." for the reconciliation.
6. Click on the History tab to review the final date and timestamp when the reconciliation was completed. In this example, this is the date that the final status of Paying was applied.
  • Note: The status of Paying is the final reconciliation status in Ariba for a paid invoice. Invoices will never show "Paid."


If you have someone who needs to approve a one-time P2I, eReimbursement, non-PO Invoice, non-Catalog order, or BPO, adding an ad hoc approver or watcher will add the appropriate person. On the third step, click on the Approval Flow tab in the middle of the screen next to the Summary tab.

Because a Non-PO invoice transaction is a payment going directly to the supplier without Central Office review, additional approval is needed to verify that there are no typos in the amount and that the payment is appropriate. Approvers should be diligently reviewing for 1) appropriateness, 2) correct amount and 3) correct vendor selected. This is especially important as it is sometimes difficult to get money back from a supplier once it is paid out.

This Non-PO InvoiceAdministrator role is added to the approval graph for one of two reasons. Either 1) the budget you are using does not have a Non-PO Funding Approver set up in ASTRA, or 2) the Non-PO Invoice you have created is over the direct buy limit. Please contact for additional information.

  1. Have the Budget or Org code Approver log in to ASTRA
  2. Click Log in now to manage authorizations
  3. Click the Create New Authorizations tab
  4. Enter the user’s name, UW NetID or Employee ID, then click Find & Verify
  5. If needed, find the user on the list and click Select
  6. In the Application drop down menu, select eProc (eProcurement)
  7. In the Role drop down menu, select the role you want the user to have
  8. In the Limit drop down box, select either Budget or Organization
  9. Enter your budget or org code in the box and click Find & Verify
  10. Click OK, add another (to add more than one person to the role) and OK, proceed to cart when finished
  11. Click Checkout Now
  1. Log in to ASTRA
  2. Click Log in now to manage authorizations
  3. Click the Search & Edit Authorizations tab
  4. Enter the user’s name, UW NetID or Employee ID, then click Find & Verify
  5. Click Show Advanced Search Options
  6. In the Application drop down box, select eProc (eProcurement)
  7. In the Role drop down box, select Non-PO Funding Approver
  8. Click Search For Authorizations Now
  9. Check the box next to the Users name
  10. Click the Delete button
  11. Click on the Cart/Checkout tab
  12. Click Checkout Now
© 2015 University of Washington     PRIVACYTERMS

Was this page helpful? Let us know