Travel can be booked however you deem fit, through a travel agency, directly with an airline, or an online agency of your choice. Effective 06/07/12 Airfare no longer must be purchased through a contract travel agency or directly with the airline. The contract is available for use as a convenience:
- refundable and no advance purchase, minimum stay or penalties; Learn more
- review list of Alaska contract airfares (effective July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2016)
- review list of SouthWest contract airfares ( effective Oct 1,2013- Sep 30,2015)
- provide "YCAWA" as fare basis code during purchase
- may only use a UW individual travel card or CTA to purchase contract airfare
- can not purchase contract airfare using personal credit card
- listed by "city pair" and specific contract airline for one-way flight to either direction
- domestic fares includes all applicable federal, state and local taxes; does not include passenger facility charges, segment fees and September 11th security fee
*Note: Can only book contract fare by calling Alaska Airlines directly or by using a contracted travel agent.
Airfare can be paid for using a personal credit card, cash, CTA, or the individual travel card. All but the CTA are reimbursed through eTravel. Effective 06/07/12 airfare nolonger must be purchased using individual travel card or CTA; except for contract fares:
Review guidelines when combining personal time/travel with UW business trip.
- No timely flights
No contract fare
It's recommended that frequent flyer benefits earned on UW travel are used prior to incurring additional cost for UW airfare.
See RCW 42.52.160.
Requires prior written approval from a Vice President, Vice Provost, or Dean (Director or Chancellor for Bothell and Tacoma campus) authority cannot be delegated . Attach to ER in ARIBA. Do not send to Travel Office.
- a single annual approval updated yearly is acceptable for frequent travel (must attach to ER each time).
- letter/memo must list reason for approval and include signature
- list specific business reason or medical
- email is acceptable for one time approval
- approval must be included with the reimbursement
- extra/additional fees are not reimbursable
- effective Jan 1st, 2015 airfare coach upgrades/seat fees $75 or less may be delegated down to administrator level for approval.
If there is no approval, see alternative.
Business class fare OR a foreign layover directly en route or at the final destination for brief rest period (not to exceed 24 hours) may be authorized, provided all the following conditions have been met:
- have prior approval from an authorized person
- origin or destination is outside the continental United States
- one-way(each leg, from origin to destination one way) flight time including layover is in excess of 14 hours
- documentation is required indicating flight time
- used all UW frequent flyer miles (if available) to upgrade
To ensure travel expenses are reimbursed against appropriate obj codes, each type of expense must be accounted for.