Prior to the Trip
- all out-of-state travel (defined as outside of Washington, Oregon, or Idaho) requires written approval from an authorized person(s)
- written approval may include email
- business class air travel in excess of 14 hours
- specific trips that have been included in funded proposal for sponsored research do not require prior approval
- visitor's letter of invitation may serve as prior approval
Travelers cannot provide their own prior trip approval.
Approval may be for:
- specific individual on a trip by trip basis (sample)
- blanket approvals must be renewed annually and must include (sample)
- type of individuals (faculty/administrator, etc.) specific names are not required
- statement that travel is consistent with requirements of job responsibilities
- statement that appropriateness of reimbursable charges will be determined by an authorized person
- first/business class airfare and airfare/rail upgrades requires approval from a Vice President, Vice Provost, or Dean; Director or Chancellor for Bothell and Tacoma campus; authority cannot be delegated
- a single annual approval updated yearly is acceptable for frequent travel
- email is acceptable for one time approval
- lodging expense over the allowable lodging per diem rate
- lodging within 50 miles of official duty station/official residence
- travel reimbursement during a sabbatical requires written approval from Chair/Director or Dean/Chancellor. See travel expenses while on leave: Academic HR
These additional prior approval(s) must be included with the reimbursement.
All reimbursements must be approved by travelers and authorized persons.
All approvals are retained by departments.