What qualifies as an "honorarium".....
- a lecture or talk
- a colloquium
- an address
- Grand Round
- or a continuing education presentation or similar activity given to students, staff, faculty, and/or the public at large.
What does not qualify as a "honorarium"...
Payments to companies or other institutions are not honoraria.
"Personal Services" are not considered honoraria. Personal services or consulting services, as they are commonly called, include a variety of professional and technical services that are purchased by the UW such as:
|actuarial services||marketing services|
|consulting /advising||organizational assessment|
|design services||performance fees (excluding UW students)|
|editing / reviewing||programming and organizational development|
|environmental planning||quality assurance|
|facilitating||research & scientific studies|
|financial and economic analysis||statistical analysis|
|interpreter services||strategic planning|
|management consulting||video production services|
Know Before You Begin
Is the payment over $10,000?
Is the payment to a foreign national?
If yes, P2I cannot be used to make payment. Payments to Foreign Nationals can be initiated with either the check request Form 1570 or UW Invoice Voucher with a PAS purchase order. Additional documentation may be required. Please see the Global Operations Support page for more information.
The process for paying an honorarium to a foreign national is complex because three separate government departments and the UW are involved:
- The Department of State issues the visa that allows a foreign national to apply for entry into the U.S.
- The Department of Homeland Security issues the form that permits a foreign national to enter the country.
- The Internal Revenue Service issues forms necessary for collecting taxes and applying for a tax identification number.
- The University of Washington collects forms.
The flowchart, Pay Foreign National for Honorarium and Travel Reimbursement, helps navigate this process. Use the checklist, Inviting & Paying on Honorarium to a Foreign National for Academic Activities at the UW, to ensure all steps have been covered.
How to pay an Honorarium in P2I
- Log in to eProcurement: Click on the "eProcurement Login" image in the quick links box (right-hand side of the browser window)
- Click on the Home tab
- Click Create, then Payment to Individual
- Enter the Title (if possible, include the Payee's last name)
- Select the Citizenship Status of the individual
- Select Honoraria as the Type of Payment
- Enter the date of activity
- Tip: Payment should not be created more than two weeks in advance of the activity date
- Answer the Independent Contractor Status Verification questions about individual
- Enter Payee Information
- Click Next
- Add Business Purpose and Amount
- Choose Budget Number
- Click Add to add the item
- Tip: For split accounting by dollar amount, users can copy the item and edit the budget number and dollar amount
- Once all items are added, click Next
- Review payment for accuracy
- Add any comments
- Click Add Attachments to upload scanned attachments (or invoice for service payment type). Do not include personal information like bank account details or address information in either the comments field or on the attachments
- Click Submit
Have questions? Contact email@example.com.