What qualifies as an "honorarium".....

A honorarium is a payment to an individual for a presentation-oriented, invitational event such as:
  • a lecture or talk
  • a colloquium
  • an address
  • Grand Round
  • or a continuing education presentation or similar activity given to students, staff, faculty, and/or the public at large.

What does not qualify as a "honorarium"...

Payments to companies or other institutions are not honoraria.

"Personal Services" are not considered honoraria.  Personal services or consulting services, as they are commonly called, include a variety of professional and technical services that are purchased by the UW such as:

actuarial services marketing services
analyzing needs assessment
consulting /advising organizational assessment
design services performance fees (excluding UW students)
editing / reviewing programming and organizational development
environmental planning quality assurance
facilitating research & scientific studies
financial and economic analysis statistical analysis
interpreter services strategic planning
management consulting video production services


Know Before You Begin

Is the payment over $10,000?
If the payment is over $10,000, a buyer will be added to the Approval Flow.
Are you reimbursing travel and expenses related to the honorarium?
Travel and expenses associated with honoraria must be submitted through eTravel.  Reimbursements will be subject to State travel rules. Receipt requirements outlined on the Travel Office websites will need to be followed. 
Is the payment to a foreign national?

If yes, P2I cannot be used to make payment. Payments to Foreign Nationals can be initiated with a check request Form 1570. Additional documentation may be required. Please see the Global Operations Support page for more information.

The process for paying an honorarium to a foreign national when the event occurred on U.S. soil is complex because three separate government departments and the UW are involved:

  1. The Department of State issues the visa that allows a foreign national to apply for entry into the U.S.
  2. The Department of Homeland Security issues the form that permits a foreign national to enter the country.
  3. The Internal Revenue Service issues forms necessary for collecting taxes and applying for a tax identification number.
  4. The University of Washington collects forms.

The flowchart, Pay Foreign National for Honorarium and Travel Reimbursement, helps navigate this process. Use the checklist, Inviting & Paying on Honorarium to a Foreign National for Academic Activities at the UW, to ensure all steps have been covered.


How to pay an Honorarium in P2I

  1. Log in to eProcurement: Click on the "eProcurement Login" image in the quick links box (right-hand side of the browser window)
  2. Click on the Home tab
  3. Click Create, then Payment to Individual
  4. Enter the Title (if possible, include the Payee's last name)
  5. Select the Citizenship Status of the individual
  6. Select Honoraria as the Type of Payment
  7. Enter the date of activity
    • Tip: Payment should not be created more than two weeks in advance of the activity date. Any payment made in advance of the service date must be sent to the campus box.
  8. Answer the Independent Contractor Status Verification questions about individual
  9. Enter Payee Information
  10. Click Next
  11. Add Business Purpose and Amount
  12. Choose Budget Number
  13. Click Add to add the item
    • Tip: For split accounting by dollar amount, users can copy the item and edit the budget number and dollar amount
  14. Once all items are added, click Next
  15. Review payment for accuracy
  16. Add any comments
  17. Click Add Attachments to upload scanned attachments (or invoice for service payment type). Do not include personal information like bank account details, social security number, or address information in either the comments field or on the attachments
  18. Click Submit


Have questions? Contact pcshelp@uw.edu.