What qualifies as a Non-UW Scholarship payment?

Used to pay scholarships or "stipends" to Non-UW students or Non-UW employees.


  • Department awarding a scholarship to a student attending a different school
  • Paying a Non-UW individual for participating in a training or conference

Know before you begin

What is a stipend?

A payment that is made to an individual to support a training or learning experience. For a payment to be considered a stipend, certain criteria must be met.

  • Stipends are not considered wages if they are payment for a training or learning experience and not a payment for services rendered
  • See Stipend Payments for more information
How do I pay a stipend to a UW employee or student?

Employee stipends can be paid through Payroll

  • Generally, employee stipends are not considered taxable wages

Student stipends should be paid through Student Fiscal Services

  • Student stipends will be reported at year end on a 1098-T tax form

How to pay a Non-UW Scholarship in P2I

  1. Log in to eProcurement: Click on the "eProcurement Login" image in the quick links box (right-hand side of the browser window)
  2. Click on the Home tab
  3. Click Create, then Payment to Individual
  4. Enter the Title (if possible, include the Payee's last name)
  5. Select the Citizenship Status of the individual
  6. Select Non-UW Scholarship as the Type of Payment
  7. Enter the date of activity
    •  Tip: Enter whichever date makes the most sense for the payment 
  8. Enter Payee Information
  9. Click Next
  10. Add Business Purpose and Amount
  11. Choose Budget Number
  12. Click Add to add the item
    •  Tip: For split accounting by dollar amount, users can copy the item and edit the budget number and dollar amount
  13. Once all items are added, click Next
  14. Review payment for accuracy
  15. Add any comments
  16. Click Add Attachments to upload scanned attachments (or invoice for service payment type). Do not include personal information like bank account details, social security number, or address information in either the comments field or on the attachments
  17. Click Submit


Have questions? Contact pcshelp@uw.edu.