Refunds payable to UW

Are you looking for information on how to handle cash or checks received in your department?
See the new
Cash Management website!

Refunds may be made by a supplier to the University for a variety of reasons:


When a vendor is paid at a price that is higher than the contracted price, overpayment occurs. This situation represents the majority of misbillings and overpayments.
Contact the vendor and request a credit memo or refund. Refund check is preferred. A credit memo will be used against future payments to that vendor and should be routed to Accounts Payable at Box 354967.
Advise the vendor to reference the Purchase Order number on all correspondence, checks or credit memos.

Duplicate Payment:

Duplicate payments occur when an invoice is paid twice. This happens most frequently when a vendor submits two different reference numbers.
If you find a duplicate payment on your Budget Activity Report (BAR), or if you receive two RIP Notices (Rapid Invoice Processing) notices for the same invoice, notify Accounts Payable at

Payment made to the wrong vendor:

Payments sometimes can be issued to the wrong vendor. This can happen when there is a discrepancy between the vendor name on the order and/or the vendor name on the invoice. These situations are usually identified when the correct vendor notifies the University regarding non-payment, yet the system indicates payment was made..
If you receive a call or notice of non-payment from the vendor, contact Accounts Payable customer service at

Damaged Goods/Returned Merchandise:

A vendor has been paid on an invoice for goods that arrived damaged or that you want to return.
  • Contact the vendor to request a Returned Goods Memo (or use this RGM Form) or authorization from the vendor for the return.
  • Return the actual items to the vendor along with a copy of the Returned Goods Memo or authorization.
  • Request the vendor send a check or credit memo to Accounts Payable at Box 351120.
  • Advise the vendor to reference the invoice number or purchase order number, where applicable.
  • Accounts Payable will credit the original invoice upon receipt of a credit from the vendor.

Reverse Expenditure:

A Reverse expenditure is a true expenditure reduction such as a refund from a vendor of a previous payment which results in the cancellation of an expense (i.e. duplicate payments, returned goods, cancellation of an unused airline ticket), or proceeds from the disposition of equipment or scrap material that results in full or partial recovery of expenses. See Reverse Expenditures if the refund will be processed as a Reverse Expenditure.

Refunds made from the University of Washington:

The University returns funds to individuals and companies for a variety of reasons; including overpayments, duplicate payments, payments received in error, key deposits, cancellations and reimbursement to sponsors for the value of the meal. The form used to request a refund depends upon the type of budget being used.

For refunds from revenue budgets

These are budgets which can accept revenue for goods and services (examples are 07, 09, 14 and 16 budgets). To initiate a refund from a revenue budget, complete a Refund Check Request (UoW1768). Deposits should not be considered revenue and should not be recorded under a revenue code.