Information about state and local sales tax issues such as taxability of items, exemptions and deferrals.
- Tax Training - Classes offered by the UW Tax Office
- Purchasing Goods and Services - Tax information related to buying
- Use tax - Information about sales and use tax when using a revolving fund
- Selling Goods and Services - Tax information related to selling
- Exemption for Research Related Machinery and Equipment - Research related exemption
- Deferral for High Tech Research Related Building Construction - Research related deferral
- High Technology Deferral - University Policy and Procedure - Additional information about the high tech deferral
- High Technology Deferral Definitions
- Taxability and Suggested Object Code Grid
- Does Sales/Use Tax Apply? - Decision flow chart
While the State of Washington requires the University of Washington to pay sales tax, many states exempt certain entities from paying their state's sales tax.
- University Sales Tax Exemptions - Other States - matrix containing exemption certificates for various states
Information about Federal tax issues such as Unrelated Business Income Tax, Federal taxation of certain payments and other Federal tax matters.
- Employee or Independent Contractor? - Help determining whether to hire someone as an employee or independent contractor
- Stipend Payments - Information about stipends
- UW Tax Exempt Status - Information about the University's exempt status
- Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT) - Federal tax on external sales that are not related to the University's mission
- Student Prizes and Awards - Information on how to pay a student a prize or award
- 2013 requirements - information about new withholding and reporting requirements
Links to the Global Support page with information about Foreign National Payments and Taxation.
- ITIN FAQs - Individual Taxpayer Identification Number information
City of Seattle business license - The Seattle business license allows the UW to conduct business in the city.