ALERT - IRS SCAM PHONE CALLS: The IRS will not call and threaten you with arrest, require payment of taxes in a certain way, or request credit or debit card information over the phone. Please see for more information.
If you actually become a victim of such a scam on our campus, please file a non-emergency police report with the UWPD, by calling 206-685-UWPD (8973). If you have further questions, please contact the UWPD Community Outreach Unit at 206-616-0873.

Student Fiscal Services monitors student tax information at the University of Washington. This information includes data for use in claiming educational tax credits and deductions that you have paid for tuition and fees. In addition, the UW provides information to help you determine if your scholarships, fellowships, grants or tuition reductions are taxable. The UW cannot provide individual tax advice. If you have questions, you should consult your tax advisor about your specific circumstances.

Scholarships, fellowships, grants and tuition reductions are not considered taxable income if they are used solely for qualified educational expenses. Any amount used for personal or non-qualified expenses are subject to tax. For more details refer to the IRS Publication 970 - Scholarships and Fellowships.

Washington State's Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET) program is a 529 qualified tuition program according to IRS regulations. This program allows individuals to prepay for student's college educational expenses. Funds from the GET program are used to reduce qualified educational expenses. The amounts used to pay these expenses are not taxable or reported to the IRS on the 1098T forms that the UW provides students for filing their tax returns.

How to update a Social Security Number on your student account record:

Every Year, the UW prepares and issues a 1098T tax form to most students. A student’s tax ID# (Social Security Number) is included in the 1098T form when the UW submits this information to the IRS. To help us report the correct information, please provide us your missing Social Security Number by performing the following:

• Bring a copy of your Social Security card or your Tax ID number to our office at: Room 129 Schmitz Hall, Seattle, WA 98195, or you can fax a copy of your SS# or TIN# to our office at: 206-685-2942.

• If you cannot find your Social Security card, you can bring a copy of your current tax return form to our office.

• If you cannot find your Social Security card or don’t have a tax return form, you can fill out the IRS W-9S form and bring it or fax it to our office. Here is the link for the W-9S form.

** Please do not send social security number to us by email.**

Student Tax Workshops

Tax workshops are over for this year and will be held again next March and April for the 2016 Tax year. Meanwhile, the 2015 Tax Year workshop materials are available below:

Tax season is here! Student Fiscal Services offers tax workshops to help you understand the tax forms that you received and share with you some updated tax information from the IRS. Please attend a workshop when you can. All workshops are free.

All tax workshops are presented in Odegaard Library- Room 220

US Resident students

February 22, 2017
2:30pm - 3:30pm

February 27, 2017
12:30pm - 1:30pm

March 9, 2017
2:00pm - 3:00pm

March 29, 2017
2:30pm - 3:30pm

April 5, 2017
12:30pm - 1:30pm

April 13, 2017
2:30pm - 3:30pm

Graduate and Professional Students

March 28, 2017
1:30pm - 2:30pm

April 6, 2017
1:30pm - 2:30pm

Non-US Residents / International Students

March 15, 2017
12:30pm - 1:30pm

March 23, 2017
1:30pm - 2:30pm

April 12, 2017
2:30pm - 3:30pm

Miss the tax classes? Watch the PowerPoint presentation below:
US Residents
Graduate, Professional and Law Students
Non-US Residents

Four types of tax information are provided to students each year. Use the links below to navigate to a detailed web
page for each topic.