Purchasing & Accounts Payable System (PAS)
PAS Purchasing Functionality is going away in January, 2015
See the eProcurement Quick Reference Guide for information about how you can use Ariba for various functions.
Topics Covered Below:
- PAS Requisitions
- When to Use
- Attachments and Additional Forms
- What UW Departments Need to Know
PAS requisitions are submitted by campus departments to initiate some purchases above the direct buy limit of goods and services when the item/service is not available through eProcurement (Ariba).
PAS requisitions may only be used for the purchase of items that meet the following criteria:
PAS Requisition Document Attachment form
Online form to attach Agreements, Contracts, Quotes, etc. (no invoices please) for the assigned Procurement Services Buyer to review.
Sole Source eForms
A sole source purchase means that only one supplier (source), to the best of the requestor's knowledge and belief, based upon thorough research, is capable of delivering the required product or service. A sole source is a method of acquisition and it is not used to avoid competitive bidding. Click "Read More" for information on sole source eforms by commodity, instructions, and examples of completed eforms.
Food Approval Form
University and Washington State policies allow for the purchase of meals and light refreshments for employees, students, and official guests under certain criteria. Click "Read More" for a food approval matrix and policy.
- PAS Access Form
- PAS PO eLearning
- Object / Sub-Object Codes
- Machine & Equipment (M&E) Tax Exemption
- PAS Guide
Access to PAS to create, review, and/or approve a requisition requires administrative access be granted to the user. Click "Read More" for information on getting access to PAS.
Instructions for campus departments on how to create a requisition (purchase order) in PAS.
Video instructions on how to create a small dollar (under $5000) requisition (purchase order) in PAS.
Object codes (sometimes called Account Codes or Revenue Codes) are six-digit numbers that are used to categorize actual expenses, budgeted amounts, and encumbrances into categories that describe the nature of the goods or services purchased. Click "Read More" for a list of current object codes and a description of what the object code is used for.
Equipment purchased for certain University research and development activities may qualify for a sales tax exemption allowed under RCW 82.08.05656, known as the Machinery and Equipment Tax Exemption, or M&E Tax Exemption. Exemptions are flagged when creating a PAS requisition and reviewed by the Equipment Inventory Office.
UW IT's online guide to the PAS system. Contains instructions for PAS related work, including Requisition Entry, Approval, and Corrections, etc. (Note to users: The information contained on this link has not been updated to reflect some of the newer PAS screens and fields. Screenshots and instructions may not match the current PAS version.)
- PAS Requisition Pathway
- Purchasing Buyers
- Contact Information
- How to Liquidate a PAS Encumbrance
- How to Update the PAS Department Contact Field
- Receiving and Returning Goods
- Have delegated purchasing authority
- Are knowledgeable regarding specific categories of goods & services
- Use purchase orders to buy good & services on behalf of UW
- Establish and manage contracts with suppliers
- Solicit competitive bids
- Manage risk for campus departments, UW
- Sign contracts and agreements on behalf of UW
- Consult with campus departments about their purchasing needs
Please note: Purchasing Services personnel may need to contact suppliers via phone or fax when conducting a purchase on a department's behalf. Purchasing staff are instructed to use toll free numbers whenever possible, however, if long distance charges apply, staff will place calls using UWATS and the primary budget provided on the PAS requisition will be used. If you want to specify a budget for these charges other than the primary budget on the requisition, please make a note to that effect in the requisition comments field.
Need help with PAS requisitions or POs? Contact us.
• assigns requisitions to Buyers;
• collects attachments for requisitions
• can assist with budget number changes on requisitions
Additional questions:Email: email@example.comPhone: 543-4500
Is your PAS PO complete and paid, but there is still an encumbrance amount on your budget? Find out how to liquidate any remaining encumbrances on purchase orders.
Step-by-step instructions on how to update the Department Contact field on a PAS PO.
Best Practices for receiving and returning goods.
- Plan ahead for your purchases, whenever possible
- Choose the appropriate buying method: eProcurement (Ariba) should always be the first choice
- Consult with Purchasing Buyers
- Know what you want to buy and describe the item clearly
- If you suggest a specific supplier:
- Be proactive about your purchase request:
- check order status: use PAS “Requisition Inquiry” function (watch for requisitions in “need corrections” & “awaiting attachments” statuses)
- ask questions (contact the assigned Buyer)
- For increased efficiency in processing Purchase Orders, please include the following in the "General Comments" section of each purchase requisition:
- Vendor contact email where completed PO's should be sent
- UW department contact email address for cc'ing when the PO is sent