Workers' Compensation at UW

The University of Washington’s workers’ compensation program is state-insured for workers in Washington. The Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) manages all of the in-state workers’ compensation claims. For out of state workers, see the link below. University of Washington faculty, staff, and volunteers are insured for injuries or illnesses that occur at work (see Administrative Policy Statement 14.1). Employees who are injured at work or who believe that their illness is related to their job can file a Labor & Industries claim through a physician’s office, clinic, emergency room or hospital.

The Claims Specialists at the Office of Risk Management are here to:

  • Assist employees and supervisors with the workers’ compensation claim process.
  • Facilitate the return-to-work process for employees with restrictions.
  • Process claim forms and information to expedite benefits when appropriate.
  • Work with L&I to manage claims and costs.
  • Manage the leave buyback program.
  • Maintain confidentiality in compliance with RCW 51.28.070.
  • Serve as a liaison among the University, L&I, the employee, the employee’s department, the vocational counselor and the medical provider(s).

Information for:

Injured workers

Supervisors or managers of an injured employee

Payroll Coordinators

Information about:

LEAN Project

WC Process Map

Stay at Work Incentive Program

Leave Buy Back

Out of State Workers


Helpful Links


We welcome process improvement ideas. Send an email with your idea to

© 2014 Finance & Facilities, University of Washington     PRIVACYTERMS