Laptop and Mobile Device Loss Control Advice
Claims for laptop and mobile device theft are by far the most frequent we see in Equipment Insurance. Here’s some advice on avoiding laptop theft.
- Don’t leave your laptop unattended, even for a few minutes. Take it with you, even if you are just going to the restroom.
- Don’t leave your laptop in a vehicle. If you have no choice, secure it in the trunk BEFORE arriving at your destination.
- Secure your laptop in any shared spaces with a lock or security cable: e.g. offices, work areas, dorm rooms, apartments.
- Monitor visitors in areas where unsecured equipment is located.
- Install theft recovery tracking devices and/or software on your equipment.
- Back up your data regularly. Protect your data and access to your computer with strong passwords and/or a hardware key device.
- Data loss is not covered by Equipment Insurance.