Claims for laptop and mobile device theft are by far the most frequent we see in Equipment Insurance. Here's some advice on avoiding laptop theft.
- Don’t leave your laptop unattended, even for a few minutes. Take it with you, even if you are just going to the restroom.
- Don’t leave your laptop in a vehicle. If you have no choice, secure it in the trunk BEFORE arriving at your destination.
- Secure your laptop in any shared spaces with a lock or security cable: e.g. offices, work areas, dorm rooms, apartments.
- Monitor visitors in areas where unsecured equipment is located.
- Install theft recovery tracking devices and/or software on your equipment.
- Back up your data regularly. Protect your data and access to your computer with strong passwords and/or a hardware key device.
- Data loss is not covered by Equipment Insurance.