Allowable Miscellaneous Expenses
- brief telephone calls to family for notification of arrival/departure
- cell phone/skype usage (must provide statement listing cost for UW business)
- pre-pay cell phones and phone cards for foreign locations only
- for disability accommodations
Or dry cleaning expenses is authorized for five or more days continuous travel in the continental USA. Allowance is already included in the meals and incidental per diem rates for travel outside the continental USA and cannot be claimed as a separate travel expense.
- there are no restrictions on travel for faculty, staff, or graduate students to any country.
- passport and/or visa
- foreign currency exchange/conversion/transaction, and or ATM fees are considered incidental expenses which are included in the daily meal per diem allowance; these fees cannot be claimed as a separate travel expense
- undergraduate students must submit travel plans to UW International Travel Security Manager. Learn More
required vaccinations/immunization/medication expenses
- review (CDC) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- information must be provided with reimbursement
- itemized receipt required regardless of amount
- required fees for checked baggage limited to the first two bags; fees for additional baggage requires justification
- misc supplies; reimbursable only if related to travel, however if supplies are for departmental sponsored event reimbursment goes through Purchasing.
- required fees charged by hotels (i.e. room safes, valet parking, etc.)
- parking (not at duty station)
- costs for fees/deposit resulting in change/cancellation of travel plans
- shipping of goods during travel status
- membership is only reimbursable if related to attending conference
- conference room/event space rentals
- audio-visual equipment rental
- tips for transportation, such as taxies and shuttles are ok to reimburse, any other tips are considered an incidental expense which is included in the amount of meal per diem that you get reimbursed.