The UW has several different categories of employees including academic personnel (faculty, librarians, post-doctoral associates, senior fellows, visiting scientists, etc), staff (classified, professional, hourly, temporary), academic student employees (ASE,GSA), students (undergrads and graduate), and volunteers. Foreign nationals on a visa can fall under any of the categories. Academic HR is your resource for academic personnel. Information on non-academic personnel can be found through UW Staff Human Resources. The Managers tab will have most of the information you need to manage non-academic personnel. Additional information pertaining to international faculty, staff and visitors can be found through ISO. You should note that the University does not sponsor visas for staff employees.
Additional information on UW Human Resources can be found below.
Staff including Professional Staff, Classified Staff, Student Hourly Assistants and Academic Student Employees
- Each UW department or organization has a 'service team' assigned to it that provides consulting and employment services. The teams are comprised of a Human Resources Consultant (HRC) and an Employment Specialist (ES). The ES coordinates all recruitment through UWHires. The HRC assists with interpretation and application of all UW employment policies and procedures, including those associated with ASEs.
- UW HIres is the system used to track all staff requisitions. Each Manager will have a workbench within UWHires that is used to track the status of all requisitions.
- Professional Staff Program
- Professional staff are at-will employees, exempt from civil service rules.
- Hiring Pro Staff
- Professional Staff Payroll Titles
- Professional Staff Compensation
- Benchmark Professional Job Descriptions
- General Research Scientist/Engineer Job Descriptions
- Benchmark Research Scientist / Engineer Job Descriptions
- Temporary Professional Staff Appointments: Monthly and Hourly
- Reclassification of Professional Staff
- Classified Staff
- Bargaining Units - Various classified employee groups are covered by different bargaining unit contracts
- Classified non-union employees are covered by civil service rules.
- Hiring Classified Staff
- Classified Staff Payroll Titles
- Classified Job Specs and Pay Scales
- Classified Staff Classification Review
- Student Hourly Assistants
- Employment of Minors
- Work Study
- Payments to students and faculty on visa
- International Student Services
- International Scholars Office
- Graduate student visas are handled by the Graduate School
- Departments sponsor faculty visas
- Independent Contractor / Visiting Lecturer Forms
- Academic Student Employees (ASE) - Teaching, Research and Staff Assistants
Graduate students hired as Teaching, Research or Staff Assistants and other titles are Academic Student Employees (ASE) covered by a bargaining unit contract. ASEs are hired directly by the employing department. ASE positions are often committed to an academic department's own graduate students. Any positions not filled by the hiring department's own commitments must be advertised through UWHires. UW Staff HR handles any human resource issues.
The union contract provides details about job recruitment, appointments, job definitions, leave time, etc. For TAs, the pay rate is set by the hiring department. For RAs, the pay rate is that of the academic department. If the rate for the hiring department is higher than the academic department, the hiring department can choose to pay the higher rate but is not required to do so.
- Hiring Academic Student Employees
- Graduate Student Assistantships
- UW / ASE Contract
- ASE Bargaining Unit Job Titles
- TA and RA Salary Schedules
- Graduate Service Appointment Tuition Waivers (academic year)
- Tuition payment for TAs matriculated in Fee-Based Degree programs
- HR Forms
- Benefits and Leaves
- Benefits Summary by Employee Type
- Temporary Positions - Fixed Duration Appointments
- Hourly Direct Hires
- New employee UW orientation
- Orientation to department and position
- Onboarding (add employee to central email lists appropriate to position as well as departmental listservs)
- UW Systems: (FIN, HEPPS, OPUS, PAS, ASTRA, etc.) application form and online guides
- ASEs - Job Descriptions and Offer Letters - Graduate Student Appointments
- Employment of Minors
- Performance Evaluations