Departmental Scholarships and Fellowships
Departments may use certain budgets to authorize scholarships, fellowships, stipends, grants, and prizes/awards to currently registered students. Depending on the terms of the budget, these payments may be paid directly to the student, or can be applied directly to the student account to pay allowable expenses such as tuition, student insurance or related fees. These payments are authorized by the department managing the budget, and are disbursed through the Student Database (SDB).
- Determine appropriate budgets to use, type of budget, and the allowable expenses the budget may pay
- Authorize or verify the budget set-up terms in SDB
- Request Budget Access for department budgets on SDB, when needed
- Determine student award recipients (amount of award and correct academic quarter/s)
- Authorize department student awards online in the Student Database (SDB)
- Confirm that student awards posted are accurately disbursed to recipients
- Reconcile budgets regularly - dollar amount posted to correct student for authorized quarter/s
Authorizing Student Awards
Departments that wish to disburse funds to students from departmental budgets must have the budget set-up in SDB. Refer to the Departmental Scholarship User Guide for details.
Forms you may need to make your student awards:
|Form and Purpose||Request for SDB Budget Set-up||Award Cancellation Request||Request for Assistance|
|Set up budget allowances and restrictions in the Student Database (SDB)||Request cancellation of an award that has been disbursed (requires SFS adjustments)||Request troubleshooting assistance from SFS staff (by telephone)|
|New Budgets||Required||As Needed||As Needed|
|Existing Budgets||Revisions only||As Needed||As Needed|
Awards and Prizes
Departments may give students awards or prizes to recognize their academic accomplishments. These may be posted into the SDB using the same procedures as for departmental scholarship awards (see Departmental Scholarship User Guide for details).As these payments are taxable for non-resident alien students, please consult the Tax Office Forms and Policies or LiChang Wong in Student Fiscal Services for more information.
- SDB 101 screencast - online learning module for basic SDB screens
- Departmental Scholarship User Guides
- SDB 101 User Guide
- If, after consulting the User Guide, you still have questions or problems, request assistance at email@example.com for troubleshooting help.
Other information resources:
- Student Fiscal Services Office
Tuition Processing Responsibilities
|Student Fiscal Services
|Grant and Contract
Nonresident Differential (NRD)
The Fellowship and Assistantship Division of the Graduate School authorizes and processes the non-resident differential (NRD) waivers for eligible fellows and trainees. Send all NRD forms to the Graduate School. This form must be submitted each quarter that the waiver is being requested.