Procedures for Storing Records
Records which have more than 6 months remaining on their retention period can be stored in the University Records Center.
The records management program for offices affiliated with the University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC), Harborview Medical Center (HMC), and Airlift Northwest is under the direction of UW Medicine Records Management program. For information regarding records management for these entities, please contact the UW Medicine Records Management program at 206-598-2242 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All records transferred to the University Records Center for storage must be included on an up-to-date State Records Committee approved Records Retention Schedule. Visit the Departmental Retention Schedule search page to determine if your office needs to update their schedule.
All about THE BOX
Records must be packed in a standard storage box (10" x 12" x 15") with a lid that fits securely. Boxes may be ordered from Office Depot. The following product numbers are approved for use at the UW Records Center: item #940346 and #199570. Item #402139 will not be accepted for storage at the University Records Center.
What should be noted on the box end?
- Record Group Number
- Box number (assigned by your department)
- Record Series stored within the box
- Any additional information which your department needs to indentify the box contents
We usually have recycled boxes that can be reused for storage. Give us a call at 543-0573 to inquire about availability.
Watch a short video on the storage request process here.
Boxes must meet the following criteria to ensure pick-up:
- Boxes must weigh no more than 30 pounds and should be at least half full.
- The box lid must fit firmly - do not include hanging files or place ring binders on end.
- Do not attach labels, "Post-It Notes" or tape to the box.
- Label one short side of the box using a magic marker. Include Box Number (usually sequential 1, 2, 3, etc), Department or Office Name and Record Series Title.
- Do not rewrite the new box information over the old information. Write on the clean side of the box.
- Pack records with significantly different retention periods and/or inclusive dates in separate boxes.
Prepare and Submit a Storage Request Form. If you have trouble accessing these forms please contact Records Management Services at 543-0573. Forms can be faxed, mailed, or emailed to Records Management Services Box 354910, FAX (206-685-9538), email@example.com
Keep a copy of the completed form for your records. Once we have received and processed your request we will contact you to arrange a pick-up time. After the boxes have been shelved in the URC you will receive an Accession Confirmation which lists the ID numbers assigned to your boxes. File this with your copy of the storage request. You will need to reference these ID numbers whenever you retrieve records.
Beta Users Only Link to Web Module