State Contracted Move

Topics Covered Below:


You are eligible for the UW to pay for expenses you incur in your household move based on your employing unit's funding availability. Even though you may meet all State of Washington eligibility requirements, your employing unit may be more specific in their requirements. Be sure you and your employing unit agree and understand the authorized limits for your move.

General eligibility criteria are:

  • current UW employee transferred at the request of the UW
  • new, non-temporary employment status (with an active appointment)
  • employment as Academic Personnel, Professional Staff, or Classified Staff as defined in the UW Policy Directory.
    See Types of University Personnel

If you terminate or cause termination of your employment with the UW (for reasons referenced in RCW 43.03.125) within one year (or 9 months for nine month academic personnel) of your appointment effective date, you will be liable for reimbursing the UW all paid expenses associated with your household move.

How to Start the State Contracted Move Process

  1. UW Department creates a Purchase Order (PO) and fills out and signs the Reqest for Moving Expenses Form (A33).  They will forward the A33 to the UW Purchasing Department.
    PLEASE NOTE: As of October 1, 2011, A-33 forms are not required to be routed through Academic Personnel.
  2. Once the UW Purchasing Department receives the original, fully signed Reqest for Moving Expenses Form (A33), a moving company representative will contact the new hire to arrange for an on-site visit to prepare the written estimate. This estimate is not a binding contract and the total charges will be based on actual weight moved. The new hire should show the estimator everything they want moved, discuss services and materials they anticipate to ensure an accurate estimate.
  3. If a personal move, the new hire will determine if they accept the moving company's estimate and will contact the moving company to coordinate the move.

What is the Request for Moving Expenses Form?
The signed Request for Moving Expenses (A33) Form gives you authority to move your household goods in connection with UW employment. Your original signature, plus signatures from your chair/director or department head, and dean/chancellor, vice president or vice provost are required. For deans/chancellors, vice presidents and vice provosts, the signature of the Office of the Provost or President is required.

Your original signature is required on the A33 form.  In signing your A33 form, you are indicating you are in receipt of the official State of Washington Moving Expense Regulations and Guide. Complete this form and return it to your department as soon as you know you are moving; failure to do so could delay your move.

Signing Papers

The mover will ask the new hire to sign and date documents including:

Bill of Lading
The bill of lading indicates the contractual provisions, all known charges, the preferred arrival date at the new hire's new location, and must indicate the empty (light) weight of the vehicle prior to loading the goods.

Inventory Sheet
The inventory sheet identifies all of the new hire's goods being shipped and the true condition at time of loading. The new hire, or their designate, should be on site the entire time the goods are being packed and loaded. In case of loss or damage, the detailed accuracy of this inventory sheet will be important.

Difficult Access Charge Sheet (optionally)
The difficult access charge sheet or "accessorial charge sheet" describes additional costs incurred because the moving truck is prevented from getting near the home, or stairwells, alleys, elevators, or other obstacles slow or interfere with the packing and loading of the household items.

TIP: Do not pre-pay or pay COD charges.
Notify the OSP Traffic Manager immediately if the moving company attempts to collect any charges from you on a State contracted move.


The State of Washington insurance policy covers the household move only when a new hire is moved by the State contracted carrier. Maximum coverage is $75,000, with anything over this amount at your own expense.

The new hire will not receive an insurance policy or certificate. The coverage is "All Risk" except as specifically excluded:

Coverage is in force from the time the mover takes custody of your goods at the point of origin until final destination, including storage-in-transit up to 180 days.

Major exclusions are: loss or damage of money, notes or securities, jewelry, watches, automobiles, house trailers, accounts, bills, deeds, evidences of debt, animals, boats, canoes, airplanes, farm machinery, live plants or food, items of extraordinary value (items that have a value greater than $100/lb.) such as oriental rugs, precious stones and gems, gold, silver or platinum articles like silverware and service sets, china sets, crystal or figurines, fur or fur garments, antiques, precious metals, coins, currency, rare collectible items or objects of art, computer software programs, manuscripts or other rare documents and items of a similar nature.

Additional exclusions include loss or damage from inherent vice, ordinary wear and tear and or gradual deterioration, loss caused by warlike action, riots, nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination.

The New Hire's Responsibilities at the end of the Move 

Attempted Pick-up/Delivery
The new hire will be responsible for paying additional charges from the mover if they fail to meet the mover at the appointed times at either the pick-up or deliver points. Drivers are expected to wait only 2 hours before placing your goods in storage-in-transit; more costs chargeable to the new hire.

Claims: Damage & Loss
Claims for loss or damage must be filed within 90 days of receipt of goods and negotiated between the employee and the insurance carrier.

What Could Be Owed
The UW department will pay the mover's invoice, but any non-allowable items will be charged back to you on a pro-rated basis. The new hire will be notified in writing by UW Procurement Services of what is owed. The new hire may repay this in three ways:

  • write a check for the amount payable to the University of Washington
  • deduct the full amount from their next UW paycheck, or
  • set up a payroll deduction payment plan until the full amount is repaid.
© 2015 University of Washington     PRIVACYTERMS

Was this page helpful? Let us know