Non-Catalog Ordering is the process of creating an eProcurement requisition when the items to be ordered are not available in either a hosted or punchout catalog. This feature can be used as an alternative to placing the order in the Purchasing and Accounts Payable System (PAS) when:
- The total order amount is less than $10,000, not including tax.
- The items on the order are NOT on the PAS Small Dollar Purchase exceptions list.
- The order requires that a purchase order be sent to the supplier.
- The order is not a standing order (recurring order). (Note: Support for standing orders is in the pipeline and coming soon.)
To use this feature, the supplier must be a UW-registered supplier and be available in eProcurement.
Here you can learn more about: best practices, when to use Non-Catalog Ordering versus other eProcurement methods, attaching documents, FAQs, exceptions, supplier requirements, commodity codes, before initiating an order, how to initiate an order, approve an order, review order status, and get training.
Some benefits to using this payment method include:
- Users can leverage existing eProcurement functionality such as open system access, document retention, and electronic approval flow
- Greater transparency than the Purchasing and Accounting (PAS) legacy system, allowing users to see the status of the order at every step in the purchasing process
- Overall University procurement cost savings
- Allows for single procurement platform
- Enables quote capability for hosted and punchout catalog suppliers that lack this feature
- TIP: Do not use Non-Catalog if the punchout catalog supplier has the ability to convert a quote in eProcuremnent. See the Supplier Attribute Guide for which suppliers accept quotes.
Non-Catalog Ordering should be used for purchasing goods and services in eProcurement when the items have not yet been acquired. In addition, the items cannot be found in an existing eProcurement catalog, the supplier requires a purchase order, and the cost of the order is under the “direct buy limit”.
The Direct Buy Limit for goods and services is $10,000 (excluding tax) (effective 8/1/2012). The table below specifies when to use Non-Catalog Ordering versus other eProcurement options.
(click the picture to view)
- Before you can place a Non-Catalog Order, you are required to pass an online assessment with a score of 80% or better. It is strongly recommended that you either attend an in-person training class and best practices. To get authorization to create Non-Catalog Orders, click here to take the Non-Catalog Ordering Knowledge Assessment.
- Familiarize yourself with the PAS Small Dollar Purchase exceptions list for items that cannot be purchased with Non-Catalog ordering.
- RECOMMENDED: Use Non-Catalog only after searching for the desired items in the hosted and punchout catalogs first. For more information on existing catalog suppliers, refer to the Supplier Attribute Guide.
- RECOMMENDED: Consider purchasing commodities from a UW contracted-supplier to leverage University-wide benefits
- If you cannot find the supplier in eProcurement, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: A Non-Catalog order cannot be placed until the supplier has registered with the University of Washington. For more information on supplier registration, please visit Supplier Registration.
- Be sure to collect: Current, correct item pricing, item part number(s), commodity code(s), full item description, quote number (if applicable), contact name and email address/fax number for supplier.
- Prepare supporting documents for attachment to the order. Learn more at Attaching Documents in Ariba.
- NOTE: When scanning in a 1632 Employee vs. Independent Contractor form, DO NOT include the Taxpayer Identification Number (social security number).
It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with our Best Practices, Commodity Codes and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before embarking on this process; trust us, there’s lot of good info you don’t want to miss out on!
- Log into eProcurement: Click on the "eProcurement Login" image in the quick links box (right-hand side of the browser window):
- Click on the Procurement Tab
- Click the Requisition link under the Create section of in Common Actions area of the page
- Click the Create Non-Catalog Item button on the right side of the Catalog Search area (just below “Browse By:”)
- Enter all of the information to describe the Non-Catalog Item:
- Item Description.
- Commodity Code (refer to Commodity Code Help if necessary).
- Account Code (defaults based on Commodity Code, however, you can select an alternate value. Refer to link for Account Code Help if necessary.)
- Supplier - must be registered as a UW supplier.
- Supplier Part Number, which is a required field. If you do not have a part number, enter a short description of the item.
- Manufacturer Part Number is an optional field. Best practice is to enter this value if it is available.
- Supplier Auxiliary Part ID is optional. It can be used to further describe the item you are ordering such as clothing sizes, pen colors, etc.
- Quantity, which is required and specifies how many items you are ordering based on the unit of measure.
- Unit of Measure, which is required and specifies how the item is “packaged”. For example, each means one item per package. Other examples types of units of measure include Box, Dozen, and Gallon.
- Click OK.
- If you need to make changes to the item such as splitting budgets, changing account codes, specifying M&E items, then click the checkbox next to the item and click the Edit button.
- To add another Non-Catalog item, click the Add Non-Catalog Item button and enter the data.
- OPTIONAL: To enter a comment, type in your comment in the Comments field. If you want the supplier to see the comment, then check the box to specify Visible to Supplier. IMPORTANT: Do not check the box if the comment is for internal viewing only.
- OPTIONAL: Click Add Attachment to add an attachment. Types of attachments include quotations, proposals, scope of work, and contracts. Learn more at Attaching Documents in Ariba.
- In the Title field at the top, enter a meaningful title for your requisition.
- Click Submit, to submit the order for approval.
- Log into eProcurement: From the eProcurement Home Page, click on the "eProcurement Login" image
- Click on the Procurement Tab
- In the "To Do" section, click on Non-Catalog requisition Title link or "S" number
- Review the requisition details and click Approve or Deny
- Optionally provide a comment and click OK
Have at least one backup Approver for your budget or org code in the event that someone is on leave.
Delegate your Authority when you go on vacation through the Preferences tab.
|Not yet submitted for approval by ASTRA authorized approvers||Submitted but not yet fully approved||Fully approved buy not yet sent to the supplier||"EI" order has been sent to the supplier|
|Has an "S" requisition ID number for internal purposes||Has an "S" requisition ID number for internal purposes||Has an external "EI" number linked to the "S" requisition ID number|