Verification of Employment

Verifications provided by the Payroll Office

For mortgage, apartment, phone and letter verifications, Payroll can provide:

  • Job title
  • Department
  • Full/Part-time status
  • Dates of employment

Verifications NOT provided by the Payroll Office

Payroll cannot verify:

- Address Please contact the employee's home department.
- Work schedule or attendance
- Hours of timesheet information
- Amount of sick/vacation leave
- Wage/loss insurance forms
- Benefits eligibility or enrollment information Contact Benefits at 206-543-2800
- Verification for employees of UW Physicians Contact UW Physicians 206-543-5228
- Verification for Employees of UW Neighborhood Clinics Contact 206-520-5427

Types of Verification/Employee Procedure

Limits on what we provide--

Job information prior to 1990 is not available.
We cannot provide salary breakdowns, job duties or other personnel data.

Formal Letter of Verification:

A formal letter of verification is written on UW letterhead and includes an employee's name, current or most recent job title, base salary and status (permanent/temporary and full/part-time).

Formal letters must be picked up in our office by the employee (with photo ID) or mailed via the US Postal Service. They cannot be faxed or e-mailed. Payroll does not notify employees when their requests have been completed or mailed.

Standard Verification:

A standard verification includes an employee's name, partial SSN or EID, current or most recent job title, base salary, and full/part-time status. Although not in a letter format, a standard verification is an official UW verification of employment.

Standard employment verifications may be picked up at our office, mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to a recipient. Payroll does not notify employees when their requests have been completed or mailed.

Special Request     Special requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
If you are an employee who needs a list of all current and past positions (1990 forward), or are requesting additional verification information please fill out this form

To request a verification of employment, please fill out one of the following forms:
Current Employee - If you are a current employee of the UW and would like verification of your current position, please fill out this paper form or complete a online request form. You will need your UW NetID and Password.
Former Employee - If you are no longer employed by the UW and would like a verification of the last position you held, please fill out this form.


Can the Payroll Office verify income for an employee?
Payroll can say either “yes” or “no” to a figure given, but without a signed release from the employee, we’re unable to give exact figures, or give their pay range.
If the employee is separated, can you tell me where they went?
Payroll only maintains fiscal information and is unable to disclose forwarding information.
Can the Payroll Office give out personal or work phone numbers so we can contact the individual?
We’re unable to provide that information, but the online UW Directory has a list of current employees and contact information.
Can the Payroll Office print out my earnings statements for a certain time period?
It is the responsibility of the employee to print out earnings statements on ESS. Pay stubs are on a rolling year cycle.
Can the Payroll Office provide a letter stating proof of my current address?
Payroll can only provide a letter verifying your employment with the University of Washington.
Can the Payroll Office provide an employee’s separation reason?
Since Payroll only maintains fiscal information, you will need to make a request for a copy of the personnel file from the Public Records Office.  Current Employees can call 206-543-2354 for steps on how to make this request.   
How can I find out my hourly rate if I’m currently in a salaried position?
You can find your average hourly rate on the Compensation website.
Does the Payroll Office keep track of archived and current weekly hours?
Payroll doesn’t keep employee timesheets, so questions should be directed to their home department and the payroll coordinator in charge of their timesheets.
Can the Payroll Office complete Public Service Loan Forgiveness forms?
Yes, we are authorized to complete this form.  Complete Section 1, then mail the form by US Mail to UW Payroll Office, Box 359555, Seattle, WA 98195, or drop it off at our office in the UW Tower. We will complete Section 3 for you to pick up, or we can send the form back to you by fax or US Mail. We cannot return the form to you by email or Campus Mail for security reasons. Be sure to include contact information in case we have questions.