Lump Sum Moving Allowance
Note: This is different from the Relocation Incentive Payment. This is also different from the reimbursement process. If you want to reimburse expenses rather than pay a lump sum please see Getting Reimbursed The Payroll Office will not process hand drawn checks for the lump sum moving allowance .
The lump sum moving allowance is a ONE TIME payment that will be included with an employee's first paycheck.
- While the amount is at the discretion of the department, the suggested upper limit for the allowance is $5000.
- The allowance is intended to be used for all moving and travel expenses associated with the move.
- The employee should not expect additional payments or reimbursements related to the move.
- Departments are to use OPUS (online payroll update system) to establish this allowance.
- Provide your departmental payroll coordinator an e-mail authorizing the allowance.
- E-mail must be supported by the Lump Sum Moving Allowance Authorization form.
- This e-mail will be pasted into OPUS as an authorization for payment.
- Along with the email, the payroll coordinator should add this information to the notes: “Lump Sum Moving Allowance Authorization form has been included in the employee’s file”.
- Procurement Services has more information about these payments.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about setting up this payment.
One earn type has been established to reflect the lump sum allowance. The earn type established is Moving Expense Allowance (MEA). It is considered a flat fee payment and is entered into OPUS based on the lump sum allowance authorization.
Create a Distribution in OPUS
The department uses OPUS to create a distribution to process the lump sum allowance. The employee must have a paying appointment.
- On a new distribution line, enter the pay period dates (1st -15th or 16th – end of the month), budget number and earn type MEA. No FTE% is needed.
- The distribution amount should be doubled since this is a one pay period payment. (The distribution amount will be halved on payment.)
If an overpayment occurs, the lump sum allowance will be recovered using the standard overpayment process.