Payroll: The Basics
Below are the two main groups we target in this class: the employee and the payroll coordinator. Please read each introduction and read the material behind the links. Please note that after reading this information, there will be 2 quizzes. In order to get credit for the class, you do need to complete the quizzes prior to the in-session class. You must be registered with POD to receive credit for this class.
This section will cover information such as paychecks, vacation and sick leave, repaying and overpayment, New Hire Paperwork, leaving the UW and information that is available in ESS. Please read each topic and as an employee, sign on to your ESS. Please read and review each topic. Next, familiarize yourself with what is available in ESS. Click on the Employee Self Service link and log on to your own ESS page. Review your own information. Then, log on as a guest to see the test view and do the ESS Exercise below.
- Employee Information
- Employee Self-Service
- Quiz (only available if you are registered for the POD class)
Please do not make these changes on your own ESS, enter as a GUEST.
You have been working here at the University of Washington for a few months and your checkbook has been stolen. You need to stop your current direct deposit and set up a new one to a new account with Bank of America. You also realize that based off your last paycheck, you are not having enough taxes taken out and your address on your pay stub is wrong. Where do you go to correct this?
Follow the steps below, then answer the questions.
- Log on to ESS as a guest. In this scenario, you will be Florence Nightengale.
- Change your address – local only.
- Change your direct deposit with the following bank information: routing # 125000021 and checking account # 123456789. Save your changes. What happens?
- Enter in this routing # 125000024 and checking account # 8675309. Save your changes.
- Update your W-4 information. You need to change your withholding to Single and 0 allowances (for the maximum amount taken) plus an additional $100 deducted each paycheck. You accidentally select the 'Exempt from Withholding' box and submit your changes. What happens?
- You decide that you want to save a tree and not get your printed pay advices. Go to the “Earnings Tab” and stop the printing of your paper advice.
Answer the following questions:
- Assuming that the first routing number above was valid, who do you contact to have the number verified and added to the UW database?
- What must be verified before making any updates to your W4? Can you claim an additional withholding and exemption from tax liability at the same time?
- Which address is used to mail paycheck or W-2 information to?
- How far back can you print your earnings statements?
Payroll Coordinator Information
This section will cover information that payroll coordinators need to know in order to perform their jobs. Information covered includes: roles and responsibilities of being a PC, schedules and deadlines, payroll online systems, hiring employees, paying employees, separating employees and some information regarding taxes. Please read and review each topic.
Please also read and review the following Related Topics which cover other topics that are associated with the role of payroll coordinator.
After reading and reviewing all the information, please remember to take and submit your quizzes (Employee Information and Payroll Coordinator Information). Credit for this class is based on completion of the quizzes and attendance at the in-session class.