In March of 2012, Senate Bill 2585 was passed that enables institutions of higher education to mandate direct deposit of employees’ pay. The University of Washington is moving towards this change and the Payroll Office encourages all employees currently receiving paper checks to sign up for direct deposit prior to our implementation of this legislation.
To sign up for direct deposit, log into Employee Self Service at: http://f2.washington.edu/fm/payroll/payroll/ESS
For more information regarding this change, see RCW 41.04.240.
Payroll direct deposit is the process by which your paycheck is electronically deposited to your checking or savings account.
- Funds become available in your bank account on payday. If not, please contact your bank directly.
- Direct deposit can only be sent to one bank account. It cannot be split up among multiple accounts.
- Direct deposit can be made to any financial institution within the United States.
Benefits of Direct Deposit:
- Peace of Mind: No worries about mail delays and lost or stolen checks.
- Prompt Payment: Deposits are credited on payday.
- Convenience: No special trips to pick up and deposit checks.
- Freedom: Payments are automatically deposited to your account, even if you are out of town or ill.
- Savings: No check cashing fees. Many banks offer free checking and other incentives for UW employees using direct deposit.
- Timeliness: Earnings information is available on Employee Self Service three days before payday.
Online Direct Deposit
NOTE: if link not available click 'Earnings,' then 'Direct Deposit.'
NOTE: if you do not have a check available, please verify your routing and account information with your financial institution.
Get started now - Click here to go to Employee Self Service
Closing or Changing your Bank Account Information:
Payroll Deductions to Credit Unions
• School Employees Credit Union
• Harborstone Credit Union (formerly Prevail)
Links to Credit Unions and Banks
- Go to Employee Self Service (you must have a UWNetID).
Click the 'Sign up for Direct Deposit' link on the welcome page.
- Select 'Start or Change Account' and enter the requested information from your check.
You will receive an e-mail confirmation of the change within 24 hours of updating your Payroll Direct Deposit.