Upon receiving all documentation for an employee's separation, the payroll coordinator enters the separation in OPUS.
Steps to separate an employee in OPUS:
- After logging in to OPUS, on the Home Menu enter in the employee’s EID and click “Separation from the UW” and “Find” in the upper left hand corner of the black tool bar.
- On the next screen specify if the separation is a complete separation or a separation from a particular department.
- A complete separation is used for the following:
- When an employee is leaving employment from the UW
- When an employee is moving to a non-leave bearing appointment (e.g., faculty or hourly)
- When there is a break in service (excluding weekends)
- Separation from a particular department with no break in service indicates an 'Appointment Change' in OPUS
- Next enter the effective date of the separation. This should be the employee's last day of employment.
- Select the separation reason and click “Finish” just above the separation function box. OPUS will proceed to the detail screen and auto adjust the end dates of the appointment and distribution to reflect the separation.
- Finally, add in a note to the change and click “Submit.”
OWLS and Separation Pay
- Payroll coordinators should work with their unit’s timekeepers to process the Employee Separation Payment Authorization form that is generated by the Online Work/Leave System (OWLS) and to ensure that OPUS and OWLS separation information is consistent in both systems.
- For departments using OWLS, follow the instructions for completing the Employee Separation Payment Authorization form and send the signed original to the Payroll Office.
- The Employee Separation Authorization form is used to process payment of any eligible leave hours an employee has remaining on his/her last day of employment. These hours are derived from the information in the employee's OWLS record.
- These forms are processed by the Payroll Office for classified and professional staff employees who separate from the University of Washington. This form is completed only if an eligible employee is completely separating from the University of Washington or if he/she is moving to a non leave bearing appointment (e.g., faculty or hourly).
For those departments not on OWLS, complete the paper Employee Separation Payment Authorization Form (UoW1349) and send the original signed form to the Payroll Office for payment.