OPUS Entry of New and Returning Employees
- Checklist for New Hires
- Please see the OPUS Guide for information about entering your employees into OPUS.
You will need the following information to enter a new employee into OPUS:
- Name as it appears on the Social Security Card
- Social Security Number
- Citizenship Status
- Date of Birth
- New Hire information provided by HR or department hiring authority
Payroll Employment Documentation
All new and returning employees are required to fill out a Form I9. Section One of the form is to be completed by the employee, all other sections are completed and submitted by the appropriate person in your department. The Form I9 is required to be completed within 3 business days from the first day of work for pay. Be familiar with the UW Payroll Form I9 Policy to make sure your department is in compliance. Additional Form I-9 resources.
Form W4 and Direct Deposit
- Employees should update the Form W4 and direct deposit online in ESS.
- The Form W4 is for Federal Tax Withholding. Each employee is responsible for understanding their own tax liability.
- If an employee does not complete a Form W4, their taxes will be withheld at the highest tax rate.
- Foreign Nationals are required to fill out a paper Form W4 with very specific instructions.
If your new hire is paid on a Federal Contract with an E-Verify clause, you will be notified by the Office of Sponsored Programs that you will need to use the E-Verify system. Please review the E-Verify pages for more information. Only employees who meet these requirements are to be put into the E-Verify system.