Cost Share for Faculty with Less Than 1 FTE
When committing cost share for part time faculty the cost share should represent a percentage of their part time appointment. For instance, if a faculty member has a 50% appointment and a 10% cost share commitment, the commitment is 10% of the 50% appointment. In terms of dollars, the commitment would be 10% of the 50% salary.
Example: faculty with 50% appointment, committing 10% cost share and a full time rate of $100,000
A 10% cost share on the grant = $5,000 ($100,000 x 50% x 10%)
The person months or equivalent % (e.g. 5%) should be listed in the proposal.
The IBS entered on the GC1 Addendumi should be $50K
When preparing a proposal, the cost share should be calculated in person months based on the part time rate.
- In our example above: (10% * 12 months)*.50= 0.6 person months.
- (Percent cost share * # months of the cost share) * appointment FTE
Faculty Paid Direct (PDR):
Represents faculty with another appointment outside UW (e.g. VA, another University or Industry, etc.). The effort commitment (paid by the award and/or cost shared) is the percentage of UW IBS. It does NOT include PDR.
This earn type represents faculty whose total effort is a combination of department guaranteed funding (A component) and external, e.g., grant, gift funding (B component). The A component is fixed therefore, when the external funding is lost, e.g., grant terminates, the faculty salary is reduced by all or part of the B component.
- If the B component represents a single grant wih 20% of the salary, the salary would be reduced to 80% of the full time rate.
- If the B component consisted of two grants at 10% salary each and only one grant terminates, the salary would be reduced to 90% of the full time rate (80% A component and 10% B component).
Cost share is based on new reduced IBS
- If cost share is proposed as a percent, the pledge dollars need to be recalculated using the current IBS. Do not recalculate previously certified cycles.
- If cost share is proposed in dollars, the PI will be required to contribute additional cost share. This may be additional effort % or other contributed costs.
- Salary cap is $196,700
- 50% of the cap = $98,350 (50%*$196,700)
- The prorated salary cap cost sharing = $1650 ($100,000-$98,350)