- Salaries are encumbered on grants and contracts to assist departments in planning expenditures during the life of a grant or contract. For more information, please see Glossary.
- Grants and contracts (budget type 05)
- Department submits payroll transaction using OPUS.
- HEPPS interfaces with OPUS.
- HEPPS and FAS interface and the encumbrance is calculated.
- Differences between departmental records of pending salaries and salary encumbrances are usually tied to OPUS transactions "in process"
- Encumbrances are updated twice per month, the night before the ETR/PTR is distributed
- Salary encumbrance may be eliminated - department takes responsibility for deficits