Non-FEC Cost Share Contribution Reporting Process
The following provides an overview of departmental and Grant and Contract Accounting (GCA) responsibilities associated with reporting Non-FEC Cost Share contributions.
All cost share contributions other than faculty effort are considered Non-FEC contributions. Faculty certify their cost shared effort via the FEC process.
Principal Investigators (PI's) and departments are responsible for ensuring that the source of cost share and/or transactions being contributed are allowable expenditures in accordance with the terms of the grant agreement. Remember: contributions must occur during the benefitting budget period.
Learn more about allowable Non-FEC cost share contribution sources.
Learn more about the Cost Share Process Overview.
Authorizations for accessing the Non-FEC Cost Share Application (this needs to be included and developed)
- Tag and apply a Batch Label to the allowable UW transactions online using the Non-FEC Cost Share Application.
- Extract tagged transactions from the Non-FEC Cost Share Application.
- Sort by Batch Label.
- Add applicable benefit and F&A rates to transactions and calculate the amounts in the extracted document using the columns provided.
- F&A rate for cost share contributions may be different than the actual F&A rate applied to the benefitting budget and should match the "Cost Share I/C Rate" listed in the budget profile of MyFD. Learn more about how the F&A rate should be applied for cost share.
- Use the rates applied to the benefitting budget, not the contributing budget.
- Copy the Non-FEC Cost Share Reporting Template into the extracted spreadsheet.
- Complete the reporting template.
- See a completed sample report.
- Watch a quick 8 minute tutorial on preparing your report.
- Reporting Third-Party in-kind cost share? See "Third-Party Cost Share Contributions and Supporting Documentation"
- Reporting Tuition Waivers? Enter the total amount on the reporting template and include copies of the tuition waivers from the Student Database (SDB).
- Have the PI review, sign and date the form. Be sure to print the PI name in the space provided.
- Submit a GrantTracker using the "Cost Share Topic", indicate in the summary line this is a Non-FEC Cost Share Contribution report, including the Batch Label in the summary line description and attach the following:
- Extracted excel document (tagged supporting transactions), GCA needs the raw spreadsheet for entry into the Cost Share Summary.
- Signed PDF copy of the completed report template.
- Electronic signatures are also acceptable.
- Applicable third party contribution letters and/or tuition waivers.
- After notification from GCA that the contributions have been entered into the Cost Share Summary application (aka Cost Share Module), review these entries for accuracy.
- Notify GCA of any problems or questions via GrantTracker.
- Submit Non-FEC Cost Share Contribution reports to GCA at least quarterly.
- Monitor the Unmet Cost Share Report on a regular basis.
Overview of GCA Procedures
Upon receipt of Non-FEC Cost Share Contributions, GCA:
- Reviews report and the extracted supporting transactions for compliance. Learn more about allowable Non-FEC cost share contribution sources.
- Prepares the submitted Batch Label report data fromt he spreadsheet for entry into the Cost Share Summary.
- Enters direct charged sub totals into the eFECS Cost Share Summary Application.
- the benefit rate applicable to the installment dates entered by GCA is automatically applied by the cost share summary application.
- the most currently available cost share I/C rate that applies to the benefitting budget is automatically applied by the cost share summary application.
- Enters total for applicable third party or tuition waiver contributions as indicated on report.
- Notifies the department via GrantTracker that entry has been completed indicating any discrepancies or unallowable charges identified. Discrepancies are often due to incorrect F&A/benefit rates being used on the report submitted.
Note: Recertifications will typically only be requried if the direct costs (excluding benefit rate) totals submitted on the extracted transactions for a reporting period Batch Label do not correspond to the totals GCA derives from information being submitted.
- UW Grants Information Memorandum (GIM) 21 - Cost Sharing Policy for Sponsored Agreements
- Office of Management and Budget Circulars:
- Faculty Effort Certification (FEC)
- Research Administration Learning Program
Preparing your proposal or waiting to hear about a submitted proposal? Contact the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) via:
- email at email@example.com
- phone at 206.543.4043
Have cost share questions on your award, contact GCA via
Have faculty effort questions on your award, contact Management Accounting and Analysis (MAA) via:
- email at firstname.lastname@example.org