Under the University's Systems Policy, multiple line items in the same purchase requisition that will function together as only one piece of equipment may all be coded with the same 06-XX equipment object code. The object code should be based on the line item totals rather than the individual line item costs. These items should be permanently assembled together and remain together for the life of the asset.
- Microscope with objectives, light source
- Centrifuge with one or more rotors
- Projector with throw lens, hardware mounting
- Digital camera with one or more lenses
- Freezers and refrigerators with racks
- Vehicles with installed accessories
- Audio visual equipment with accessories
- Lasers with connected accessories
- Cages and attached accessories
- Zebrafish tank systems
- Data acquisition systems
- Dual chamber incubators
- Computing systems that don't fall under the Personal Computer Policy or Computer Cluster Policy
- Printers or copiers that don't fall under the Personal Computer Policy
Examples of items that do not qualify under this policy include:
- Furniture work stations
- An iPOD purchased with a laptop computer
- Any item that is not permanently connected to the equipment
- Laptops or computers that will function with a different kind of equipment item, such as a microscope or PCR system
- Personal computers and attached peripherals - please see the University's Personal Computer Policy
- Clustered hard drives and computers - please see the University's Computer Cluster Policy
The cost of should not include consumable supplies or manuals.
- Make your purchase using the procedures outlined under one of the following acquisition methods. Please be sure to use the appropriate object code for your purchase.
- Enter a comment into the comments section stating which line items make up the individual piece of equipment. For example: "Line items 1, 2, and 5 belong together to make one piece of equipment."
- If the equipment item and its necessary components $2,000 or more, within 24 hours of receipt, tag the item in a visible place (not on the back) and enter it into OASIS as a "T" status asset. Information to be entered should include:
- UW Tag Number (contact your departmental inventory person)
- Serial Number
- Room Number
- Status (enter - T)
- Requisition Number
- Accountable Budget
- Total Cost
- Class Code
- Date Received
- Acquisition Method (enter - PO for Purchase Order, EP for eProcurement, or PC for ProCard)
- Equipment Inventory will review the OASIS entry for complete information and approve the asset.
- If the equipment item totals less than $2,000, a department still has the option to tag it and enter the data into OASIS. There are three differences in procedure:
- Use a "purple" (non-inventorial) tag instead of a white tag;
- Use Status "N" (non-inventorial) instead of "T"; and
- There's no Equipment Inventory involvement.
Optional - UW Equipment Information Form