Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question below to view the answer.
You may also click 'Open All' to expose all the answers or limit the results by entering a search term.


Object/sub-object codes are used in expenditure classifications. The term applies to the type of the article purchased or the service obtained. See Equipment Acquisitions for object codes used to purchase equipment. For more detailed descriptions of these codes, please click on the individual code or visit Object Codes for Expenditures.

If a piece of equipment is Federal or Agency titled, it is owned by the Federal Government or the sponsoring Agency. It is not titled/owned by the University and has special restrictions. The title/ownership of equipment is usually spelled out in the do

If the equipment has a current fair market value of $2,000 or more and a life expectancy of at least one year, enter the equipment information into the OASIS system:
Status 'T'
Requisition number '000000'
Acquisition method 'GF'
You will also need to complete a Gift Transmittal Form and submit it to Gift Processing, Box 359505. This will ensure proper reporting.

Yes, but the student will not be able to retain ownership. If you'd like for the student to retain ownership of them items, they must be purchased through a stipend, which can be requested through your departmental payroll coordinator.

a. Tangible assets acquired through donation, gift, purchase, loan, capital lease, or self-construction, with a life expectancy of more than one year and a total acquisition cost of $2,000 or more (total purchase price including shipping, handling, tax, etc.) should be assigned an appropriate University equipment identification tag and inventoried.
b. Equipment purchased for certain University research and development activities may qualify for a sales tax exemption allowed under RCW 82.08.02565, (Revised Code of Washington - compilation of Washington State laws in force) known as the Machinery and Equipment Tax Exemption, or M&E Exemption. Purchases must have an acquisition cost of $1,000 or more to be considered, along with other criteria, for an M&E exemption. Please see the University's Machinery and Equipment (M&E) Sales Tax Exemption for additional information
c. A confirming order is a purchase for supplies or materials that has been placed by a department, directly with the vendor, rather than the University's Purchasing Department placing the order on behalf of the department. A notation is made in the PAS (Purchasing and Accounts Payable online System) to identify a confirming order so the Purchasing Department doesn't inadvertently place the order themselves thus duplicating the order. A confirming order needs to be no more than $3,300, exclusive of any shipping, handling, or taxes. Additional confirming order information can be found here.
d. A ProCard purchase is an order placed where the payment mechanism is the University's official ProCurement Card. Purchases made via ProCard must have an acquisition cost of no more than $3,300 (total purchase price including shipping, handling, tax, etc.). At times it might be necessary to request a single transaction limit increase in order to make a ProCard purchase over $3,300. Instructions on how to request an increase can be found here.

Computer components purchased on the same requisition can be purchased as a system and coded as equipment according to total cost (CPU, monitor, mouse, key board, etc.)

Equipment associated with a grant or contract can be designated as University owned equipment, or agency owned equipment. The ownership of equipment is usually spelled out in the documentation that accompanies a negotiated grant or contract. OSP (Office of Sponsored Programs) negotiates and processes award documents. OSP will determine the appropriate ownership of equipment associated with a particular grant or contract. For questions regarding the determination of equipment ownership, OSP can be reached at:, or 206.543.4043

It depends on the budget. Please look at the indirect cost section of your budget profile in MyFD to find then 'Indirect Cost Actual Base' (it is the 3rd item under Indirect Cost). If you click on the title 'Indirect Cost Actual Base', it will take you to a glossary where it lists the possible codes and the descriptions. If your code does not specifically exclude equipment, then it is not exempt.

Yes, however, it is important to emphasize that they'll need to return the items upon their departure from the University.

Rarely. Only the individual pieces that are $2,000 or more are inventorial.

Capital & Operating Lease

No, leased equipment is technically not University property - we are only tracking it for the company we are leasing it from.

The University automatically classifies leases as operating where the cost of documentation, accounting and disclosure, and audit support significantly exceeds the benefit to University stakeholders. To be considered a capital lease at the University, the total value of future minimum lease payments or fair value (whichever is less) must be significant to the University and require recognition as a long-term debt in the University's annual audited financial report (as determined by Financial Reporting) and must meet one or more of the following criteria:
Lease term is greater than 75% of the equipment's estimated economic life;
Lease contains an option to purchase the equipment for less than fair market value;
Ownership of the equipment is transferred to the university at the end of the lease term; or
Present value of the lease payments exceeds 90% of the fair market value of the equipment.

Please contact Equipment Inventory at 206-543-4663 with general questions related to leases or Financial Reporting at 206-221-7845 to determine if the lease should be classified as capital or operating.


If a fabricated item is to be delivered to an external entity or is not University owned, the equipment is not subject to being tagged or inventoried. Salaries, supplies, and other costs incurred in fabrications should be left in their original expenditure object code, not transferred to the 06-XX object code by JV. These costs will incur the usual indirect costs for grants and contracts. Individual parts or equipment items that fall into this category and meet the standard definition of equipment should be coded 06

Fabrication JVs are an exception to this, though we hope to be able to process these through the Financial Desktop eventually. Currently, the Transactions application only allows for the transfer of existing expenditures. Fabrication JVs don't move existing expenditures, they create a second set of expenditure debits (05-XX, 01-XX, 03-XX, etc) and a 21-XX credit. Please see 'Note' under the Department's portion of the Procedure section of the Acquisitions of Equipment - Fabrication web page.

The easiest way to handle this is to add cost the 06-XX asset to the fabrication and not include it in the fabrication Journal Voucher (JV) request.

No. A fabrication is defined as one piece of equipment that is built (fabricated) because an existing piece of equipment with the desired functionality does not exist. The fabricated item should remain together for the lifetime of the asset. The entire cost of the fabricated asset is depreciated over its useful life and the costs incurred to build the asset are excluded from indirect cost.


You are required to verify what is allowed in the Fellowship before purchasing anything or creating a stipend. Your department should have a copy of the Fellowship on file.

Any time a department puts through an equipment purchase in PAS on an 80-XXXX budget, Equipment Inventory is required to see if the equipment is intended to stay a the UW permanently or if it is intended to be the fellow's personal property. You should enter information in the Item Description that states 'Item will stay with the UW' if it is not for a fellow to keep. Any requisition that has items for a fellow to keep must be cancelled and a stipend should be requested through your departmental payroll coordinator.

The proper process to request a stipend is to work directly with your departmental payroll coordinator. Coordinators enter all stipends directly into OPUS.

The stipends should be on the 08-02 object code (which is not salary) and therefore should not have benefits. For Fellows, coordinators should use job class code 0861 and for Trainees, coordinators should use the job class code 0867. Both use the earn type STP.

Immediately contact Equipment Inventory at 543-4663 and we'll see what we can do to help you correct the error.

Yes, but they have to note that the item will remain UW property. As a part of the ProCard approval process, EIO will check to make sure the student doesn't plan on keeping the item and will let them know to enter a note on the transaction that 'This item will remain UW property.'


You have three options in determining fair market value on gift equipment:
1. The donor should have that information available for you
2. If they don't, you can go to the manufacturer's web site and look at the manufacturer's suggested retail price for the item
3. If these first two do not work for you, contact Equipment Inventory at or 543-4663 and we will assist you.

Here is the link: Gift Transmittal Form. Contact the University Advancement's Gift Processing unit with questions relating to the form.

© 2014 Finance & Facilities, University of Washington     PRIVACYTERMS