- Submit hourly timesheets directly to the business office for processing after the supervisor approves. Timesheets should not be returned to the employee.
- Obtain prior authorization for planned leave and overtime.
- Ensure timesheets are approved by employees and by supervisors with first-hand knowledge of hours worked.
- Ensure employee timesheets are promptly submitted for processing, and paid in the proper pay period.
- Establish procedures for obtaining original timesheets when faxed timesheets are used. Compare the original timesheet to the faxed timesheet.
- Include information on timesheets required by University policies and the Federal Labor Standards Act (FLSA) such as weekly totals
- Use ink to fill out timesheets. The employee and supervisor should initial any changes.
- Perform an annual audit of the Online Work and Leave System (OWLS) which includes reconciliation to supporting documentation (i.e. timesheets, leave/overtime requests)
- Monitor hours for hourly and student employees to ensure compliance with the University’s maximum hours 1050 total yearly hours (hourly employees/19 ½ weekly hours (student employees)
- Implement formal check-in and check-out procedures for employees newly hired or leaving the department.
Human Resources Compensation: Overtime for Non-Academic Staff—Overtime Eligibility and Compensation
Human Resources Compensation: Overtime for Non-Academic Staff—Timekeeping
Human Resources Forms: Checklist—New Hires
Human Resources Forms: Checklist—Separating Employee